Parking in developed and populated urban areas is often a point of concern and quite time-consuming. There is a range of options available to solve parking problems. Talking about the most effective solutions to minimize the traffic volume and reduce the congestion in parking areas, park and ride service is a technology-driven system that should be mentioned.
The main objective here is to facilitate parking lots where private transport users park their own vehicles and commute via public transportation mode. As a result, usage of public transport increases, traffic congestion and air pollution decrease, mobility around a city improves and the commuters can reach their destinations in a stress-free way. City authorities around most parts of the world have already started offering this intermodal urban mobility solution and improving the efficiency of transit.
Does your city also need this system? Today’s post will give you the answer. This post is all about making you understand the importance of the park and ride system for seamless intermodal urban public transportation.
Key Components and Objectives of Park and Ride Service
A properly planned park and ride system provides solutions to meet transport needs in a sustainable way. The main reason to implement a park and ride system is to minimize on-street parking while striking a balance between profit and maintenance costs. This measure comprises of three major components, which are:
- The launching of a new park and ride solution along with improving the existing ones.
- Making public transport connections better.
- Developing an electronic system that can help people in advance booking of parking spaces.
Implementation of Park and Ride Facility
However, the basic concept of the park and ride is pretty simple. But without proper planning, implementation, and maintenance it cannot be done perfectly. Hence, here are some of the best practices that you should keep in mind to make the most of these facilities:
- Choose an area that is easily accessible to you. Park and ride facilities can be successfully offered when the parking spot is peripheral, an outer area away from the regular traffic congestion. The location should also provide direct access to the public transport system. Therefore, identify ideal locations and select the best out of those.
- Reanalyze the transit frequency. Offering this facility does not mean that you should stop analyzing transport patterns regularly. You should closely monitor transit activity, at least once in a quarter.
- Keep planning new strategies to make sure the service keeps evolving with time. Implement the new ones along with the existing ones.
- Never forget to collect and channelize support of the public and stakeholders to educate commuters about the incredible benefits of Park and Ride solution.
- Read More About Park and Ride System.