- When you block someone on WhatsApp, you no longer receive notifications, messages, calls, or status updates from them.
- Someone you've blocked on WhatsApp won't be able to see when you were last online anymore and will be able to see that their messages were sent but never delivered.
- There's no direct way for someone you've blocked to know you've blocked them.
- You can unblock someone you've previously blocked on WhatsApp at any time.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
WhatsApp is a popular alternative to common messaging apps like iMessage and Facebook Messenger. Many people use WhatsApp on their phones as their primary means of contact with others. It's a good option for texting and group chats if your friends don't all have the same kind of phone or they live overseas.
Of course, as with any app used for person-to-person interaction, sometimes it becomes necessary to block someone on WhatsApp. Whether you're getting calls or texts from numbers, you don't know, or you're being harassed by someone you do know, blocking is an easy way to cease contact stop without hassle or uncomfortable confrontation.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Here's what happens when you block someone on WhatsApp
When you block someone on WhatsApp, you will stop receiving messages and calls from them. Even if they continue to send them, they'll never show up on your phone. Likewise, your information — status updates, profile picture changes, "last seen" timestamps — will no longer be visible to the person you blocked.
Blocking someone on WhatsApp may cease direct contact from that user, but it doesn't remove them from your contacts. To do that, you will have to remove their contact from your phone manually. You can also unblock someone you've blocked at any time — so if you need a break from someone for a little bit, you'll still be able to talk to them again when you're feeling up to it.
WhatsApp does their best to make it ambiguous whether or not you've been blocked, to protect their users' privacy.