Under the Maroondah Planning Scheme, a planning permit is required. If you wish to remove any vegetation that is shown to exist on a previous planning permit landscape plan, you may need to seek a permit amendment or written consent from Council.
Tree Works PermitsUnder the Maroondah Planning Scheme, a planning permit is required for:
- Removal of trees within a Significant Landscape Overlay (SLO) area - there are SLO exemptions.
- Removal of any native vegetation in a Vegetation Protection Overlay (VPO) area
- Removal of any native vegetation from a property greater than 4000m3 (1 acre).
SLO and VPO areas cover most of Maroondah and can be identified by:
- Using our online mapping - enter your address in the bottom left, then in the upper right hand corner you will see the planning overlays (VPO, SLO etc) that apply to your property
- Visiting the City Offices Service Centre, Braeside Avenue, Ringwood
- Telephoning Statutory Planning Services on 9298 4287, giving your street address.
- You are complying with a notice to clear fire hazards, specifically referring to trees or antive vegetation
- Clearance of electricity lines is required (only the minimum to keep the line clear )
- You wish to prune a tree for regeneration or ornamental shaping
- A planning permit that authorised the tree removal has been previously approved for the site and is still valid. You may still need to submit an application to amend an approved landscape plan - please check specific permit requirements by contacting Council.
- The trunk of the tree is within 3 metres of an existing dwelling (excluding outbuildings) unless the dwelling is part of a multi-unit or dual occupancy development, then Council approval is required the tree is less than 5 metres in height and has a trunk circumference of less than 0.5m measured at 1 metre above ground level.
- A suitably qualified person declares that the tree is dead or dying and has become dangerous. Council expects the person to have a Certificate 4 in Arboriculture or a Diploma or Degree in Horticulture. We recommend that you obtain the declaration in writing and:
- Keep a copy for your own records
- Forward a copy to Council if you would like us to confirm the declaration is valid.
This overlay applies only to native vegetation. In most VPO areas, the SLO controls also apply. State Controls for Larger Properties A planning permit is required for the following removal of native vegetation from a property greater than 4,000 m3 (1 acre).