In 2017, Verizon retired the email provider for all customers and migrated it to AOL email. However, if you switch to another mail client like Outlook or Verizon AOL Email before then, you can still access your verizon.net email address and use this Verizon account.
In this article, I'll talk about Verizon's email settings for SMTP, POP, and IMAP and how to set them up in a third-party email client. I'll also cover how these protocols help you and why Verizon decided to stop its email service.
How to Set Up Verizon Email Settings in AOL :-
The following sections apply only to users who migrated their Verizon account data before December 5, 2017. Setting up your Verizon account in AOL is super easy.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on email setup for your Verizon mail in an AOL Mail account:
- Go to the AOL Email home screen.
- Type in your full email address, including the “@verizon.net” segment.
- Follow the registration steps mentioned to create a password for your mail account.
- You should now be able to access your email data after signing in to your AOL account.
- It’s that easy!
- However, if you want to set up Verizon mail on another email application like Yahoo Mail or Microsoft Outlook, you’ll need to set up your SMTP and POP/ IMAP setting.
- But wait… what exactly are SMTP, POP and IMAP, anyway?
- Let’s take a look.
- Note, if you’re already familiar with these protocols and only want to know how to set them up directly,
How to Set Up SMTP Settings for Verizon Email
To set up the SMTP settings for your Verizon Email account, you need to go to the email settings page or option in the email app you use, such as AOL Email, Yahoo Mail, Outlook, or Mozilla Thunderbird, etc.
For example, if you’re using Microsoft Outlook, navigate to Settings > Mail > POP and IMAP.
There, click on the More Settings button and then Outgoing Server to enter your Verizon Email SMTP Settings:
- Verizon Email SMTP Settings
- SMTP Server Address: smtp.verizon.net
- Secure Connection: SSL
- SMTP Username: your Verizon email ([email protected])
- SMTP Password: your account password
- SMTP Port Settings: 465 (SSL)
The exact steps differ slightly between each email client, but the overall process should be similar.
For example, if you’re setting up your Verizon Email in a Yahoo account, you’ll need to enter outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net instead of smtp.verizon.net for the SMTP Server Address.
Now that you’ve got your SMTP settings in place, you’re all set to send emails to other people with your Verizon mail address.
But remember, SMTP does not help you with receiving emails.
You’ll need to set up POP3 or IMAP for that!
How to Set Up POP3 and IMAP for Verizon Email :-
The process for manual setup of POP3 or IMAP is pretty similar to SMTP for most email clients.
For example, in Microsoft Outlook, navigate to Settings > Mail > POP and IMAP.
Here you can set up either of the protocols as per your email needs with the following account settings:
- Verizon IMAP Setting
- Server: imap.aol.com
- Port Settings: 993
- Encryption: SSL
Verizon POP3 Server Settings
Server: pop.verizon.net (For Verizon Yahoo: incoming.yahoo.verizon.net)
- Port Settings: 995
- Encryption: SSL