p /p p /p NEW YORK — YouTube plans to produce a slate of original video programs to air on its website, as the Google-owned company seeks to retain its audience amid competition from the likes of Netflix, Hulu, and Facebook.

p During a presentation at New York's Javitz Center on Thursday, YouTube boss Susan Wojciki showcased some of the new programs, which she said were something that YouTube advertisers had been asking for.

/p p The shows will feature big-name celebrities like Ryan Seacrest and comedian Kevin Hart, and will be available exclusively on YouTube's free, advertiser-supported website, and not on the company's subscription-based premium service, YouTube Red.

/p p YouTube is the world's most popular video streaming website, but much of the content is unpolished, created by amateurs and occasionally offensive — a problem that has come to the fore in recent months as advertisers discovered that their ads appeared alongside violent and racist videos.

/p p “We apologize for letting some of you down," Wojcicki said on Thursday.

YouTube initially spent more than $100 million in 2011 to help launch channels anchored by big names like Madonna and ESPN.

The text above is a summary, you can read full article here.