Illustration by Alex Castro / The Verge
Epic Games fired back against Apple yet again in a new court filing, saying the iPhone maker “has no rights to the fruits of Epic’s labor,” the latest salvo in the ongoing battle between the two companies.
A quick recap: Back in August, Epic introduced a new direct-payment system in its wildly popular Fortnite game to bypass Apple’s 30 percent fee. Apple kicked Fortnite off the App Store for breaking its rules, and Epic responded with a civil lawsuit against Apple, alleging that Apple was violating antitrust law. Epic also revealed that Apple threatened to terminate the developer account used to support the company’s Unreal Engine platform, which would prevent Epic from developing future games for iOS or Mac.
Earlier this month, US...
If you were hoping maybe Apple and Epic Games were anywhere near working out their differences, I’ve got some bad news for you. Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers confirmed in a recent ruling that no, she’s not going to force Apple to host the game on iOS, meaning you’ll be stuck to the myriad other platforms that support the game. The judgement, handed down on Friday (and which you can read here), both grants and denies requests from Epic Games. Specifically, it grants the request that Apple be blocked from cutting off its developer account — meaning, Apple isn’t allowed to… This story continues at The Next WebOr just read more coverage about: Apple
“The current predicament is of its own making,” Judge Rogers says of Epic Games.
The latest update from the Epic Games lawsuit against Apple has confirmed what many mobile players had worried about: Fortnite will be absent from iPhones and iPads for many months, forcing these players to switch to Android, consoles, or PC to get back into the action. Epic recently asked the court to ‘force Apple to reinstate Fortnite to the Apple … Continue reading
Illustration by Alex Castro / The Verge
Fortnite won’t be coming back to the App Store any time soon. On Friday, Judge Yvonne Gonzales Rogers refused to grant Epic Games a preliminary injunction against Apple that would force the game developer to reinstate Fortnite on the App Store, while simultaneously granting an injunction that keeps Apple from retaliating against the Unreal Engine, which Epic also owns (PDF). In other words, we now have a permanent version of the temporary restraining order ruling from last month.
That means the state of affairs, in which Epic is banned from publishing new games on iOS and cannot distribute Fortnite on the App Store in its current form, will remain in place for the length of the trial — unless Epic decides to remove its own in-app payment...
But will Fortnite be allowed back into the walled garden in the meantime? Lawyers representing Apple and Epic Games appeared in court yesterday via video link as the row over Cupertino's App Store policies rumbles on.…
Epic claims Apple is engaging in anti-competitive behavior.
"It is important enough to understand what real people think," the judge said. "Do these security issues concern people, or not?"
Photo by Amelia Holowaty Krales
A US judge hearing arguments in Epic’s antitrust lawsuit against Apple has criticized the game developer’s decision to breach its contract with the iPhone maker by pushing a version of Fortnite with a custom payment system onto the App Store. The decision resulted in Apple removing Fortnite from the App Store.
During a hearing on Monday with both companies, Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California expressed skepticism about Epic’s arguments, particularly its claim that it did not pose a security threat to Apple because it is a well-established company and partner.
“You did something, you lied about it by omission, by not being forthcoming. That’s the security issue. That’s...
You thought the Apple vs Epic Games battle had cooled, or maybe blown over? You thought wrong. Now not only might the case have to go before the jury, but Google’s finally breaking its silence. So sit down, grab a bubbly beverage and a plate of nachos, because the show is back on. Today was the first day of the case in court, for a hearing. Everything up to now has been the two companies sniping at each other in legal filings, but now the two companies had to present themselves (virtually, of course) to Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers. In summary,… This story continues at The Next WebOr just read more coverage about: Apple,Google
Judge Rogers has strong words for both sides in the iOS Fortnite battle.
A California judge says it should be for the people to decide whether Epic's claims about Apple's alleged anti-competitive behavior have substance.
Epic says it faces unfair retaliation, irreparable harm for battling iOS monopoly.
Illustration by Alex Castro / The Verge
Shortly before midnight on the Friday before Labor Day weekend — we’re curious about the timing — Epic Games pushed the button on its next legal action against Apple’s ban on the immensely popular Fortnite.
There was no question that Epic would file for a preliminary injunction against Apple in an attempt to force the iPhone maker to bring Fortnite back to the App Store — hearings were already scheduled for September 28th. But now, you can read the company’s full argument (here’s a PDF; it’s also embedded below) and decide whether you think Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers is likely to be swayed.
You may remember that Judge Rogers was already unwilling to issue a temporary restraining order against Apple to protect Epic’s games, partly...
Bye, bye Fortnite — and all of Epic's other apps
The fight centers on app revenue cuts and antitrust law
Photo by Vjeran Pavic / The Verge
Epic has confirmed it will not be releasing its upcoming Fortnite season, Chapter 2: Season 4, for iOS or macOS, saying the ongoing antitrust feud with Apple over in-app payment processing and other App Store disputes has blocked it from issuing updates and new installs on Apple devices. While this was a suspected development after Fortnite’s removal earlier this month — Epic warned it could happen the day the app was pulled — the season’s launch on Thursday, August 27th had been fast approaching without formal word from Epic on its plans.
“Apple is blocking Fortnite updates and new installs on the App Store, and has said they will terminate our ability to develop Fortnite for Apple devices. As a result, Fortnite’s newly released...
However, it won’t protect Fortnite.At least in part, Epic Games against Apple just won a temporary restraining order.Quickly effective, Apple can’t fight back against Epic Games by restricting the use of Epic’s Unreal Engine on Apple platforms by developers or ending the company’s Apple developer accounts.However, in a similar decision, Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers concluded that Apple won’t be required to bring Fortnite back to the App Store that it had prohibited after Epic included an in-application payment system in violation of Apple’s rules.Rogers wrote that the Court finds that as for Epic Games’ movement regarding its games, including Fortnite, Epic Games has not yet shown irreparable damage and the current pickle shows up of its own creation.She added arguing that Epic deliberately decided to break its concurrences with Apple thus disturb the status quo.However, Rogers contended, keeping up that the norm is also why she’s ruling that Apple can’t cut off access to the Unreal Engine at this moment.There, it was Apple who has decided to act harshly by affecting both third-party application developers, just as Epic’s reputation, by undermining the Unreal Engine.Rogers wrote that Apple and Epic Games are at freedom to contest against one another but their debate should not make havoc to bystanders.In a Monday conference, in front of the ruling, Judge Rogers had already indicated that she was more influenced by the evident danger to the Unreal Engine.She said at the opening of the conference that she is not slanted to allow help regarding the games, but inclined to grant relief as for the Unreal Engine.Source: https://www.aretailretail.com/epic-judge-will-protect-unreal-engine/Robert Dinklage is a self-professed security expert, He Has been expertise in making people aware of the security threats.
It’s a small victory for Epic, but it’s just one of many battles
But mobile Fortnite remains blocked ahead of September hearing.