- Bimatoprost is a prostaglandin analogue sold to decrease intraocular pressure in patients with glaucomaor ocular pressure.
- Researchers revealthat Careprosthad an adverse effect onenhancing eyelash growth and blackening of the eyelashes in patients with glaucoma.
- This medicine was re-applied forthe US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for the cosmetic purpose of eyelash growth.
- Careprost which contains Bimatoprost as an active ingredientis effective for eyebrow thinning.
- It also has the potential to arouse the development of scalp hair. The safety and efficacyof a new formulation of Careprost for use particularly as a topical hair loss treatment for common baldness in men and women have been recently and currently been studied by the innovator company.
- A short-scale study has shown that topical Careprost ophthalmic solution 0.03% is a promising treatment for localized and stable Vitiligo (a type of skin disorder).
How does Careprost work?
Bimatoprost is derived from fatty acids intended to bind to prostaglandin receptorspresent in the hair follicle.Bimatoprost is believed to control the growth of hair follicles by enhancing the proportion of hairs in the anagen (growth) phase and upsurging the duration of this phase.Careprost also augments the size of the dermal papilla (hair bulb).These actions make hair longer and thicker.Bimatoprost also excites pigment cells in the skin and hair follicles (melanogenesis) responsible for its observed action in vitiligo (a type of skin disease).
Precautions and Warnings
- Careprost is used on the skin of the upper eyelid and at the eyelash base.
- Application on the lower eyelid is not allowed. The drug reaches the bottom eyelid through the blinking of eyes
- It is likely for hair growth to happen in parts of skin that bimatoprost often touches. Any extra solution externalto the upper eyelid margin should be removed with a tissue to reduce the chance of extra hair growth.
- The applier should be thrown after one use. A new sterile applicator should be used for other eyes
- The onset of effect is slow and is not deceptive in the widely held patients until 2 months.
- The growth of eyelashes can be predictable to slowly return to the original level upon cessation of treatment.
- Bimatoprost solution contains a preservative, which may be riveted by soft contact lenses. Removal of contact lensesbefore application of Careprost is a must and contact lenses can be reinserted 15 minutes after Careprost administration.
- Bimatoprost solution should be used with caution in patients with active intraocular inflammation(e.g., uveitis) because the inflammation may be exacerbated.
- Itch and irritation in eyes
- Redness in the eyes
- Skin darkening
- Dry eyes
- Eyelids that turn red.
Does this medicine affect other medicines?
No interaction studies with Careprost have been performed. Interactions with systemic (for example, oral) medications are considered improbable because bimatoprost does not reach pertinent blood levels. Bimatoprost in Careprost does not negatively interact with timolol eye drops.